With more and more people turning to the internet to learn new skills, creating your own online course has never been more lucrative. As a small business owner, you have a wealth of knowledge to share, and with the right strategy, you can turn it into a profitable online course. In this blog post, we’ll show you the steps to take to create your first online course, monetize your expertise, and make money while you sleep.
Identify Your Expertise
The first step in creating an online course is to identify your area of expertise. What knowledge do you have that others would be willing to pay to learn? This could be in any field, from marketing to crochet, but it should be something you have a deep understanding of and can confidently teach others.
Plan Your Course Content
Once you’ve identified your area of expertise, it’s time to plan your course content. Start by creating an outline of the topics you want to cover and the lessons within each topic. This will help you stay organized and ensure your course flows logically.
Choose Your Course Platform
There are many course platforms to choose from, but some of the most popular include Teachable, Thinkific, and Kajabi. These platforms provide everything you need to host and sell your course, including customizable landing pages, payment processing, and student management tools.
Create Your Course
With your content planned and your platform chosen, it’s time to create your course. This could include creating videos, writing articles, designing worksheets, and more. You can start simple by recording videos on your phone or webcam, or go all out and hire a professional production team.
Market Your Course
Once your course is created, it’s time to market it. This could include using social media, email marketing, paid ads, and more. You can even pre-sell your course to generate interest and revenue before it launches.
More ways to market your course:
1. Social Media: Utilize platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube to promote your course through engaging posts. Create videos to share on your channels that showcase the value of your course and encourage people to enroll.
2. Blogging: Create content related to the topic of your online course and post it on blogging sites like WordPress or Medium. This will help draw more attention to your course and attract potential customers.
3. Email Marketing: Build an email list of potential customers and send out emails about your course with information about its benefits, features, and pricing. You can use tools such as Mailchimp or Constant Contact for this purpose.
4. Search Engine Optimization: Utilize SEO practices such as keyword research, content optimization, link building, and technical optimization to increase organic website traffic from major search engines like Google and Bing.
5. Paid Advertising: Use paid advertising platforms like Google Ads or Facebook Ads to target specific audiences who are interested in taking online courses in order to drive more visitors to your course page or landing page.
6. Partner With Influencers: Reach out to influencers who have a following in the niche that your online course is geared towards and partner with them by offering special discounts or incentives if their followers enroll into your course.
7. Networking Events: Attend networking events related to the field that you’re teaching in order to make connections with potential students who may be interested in taking your course..
8. Reviews & Testimonials: Ask past students of your courses for reviews or video testimonials which you can then feature on the homepage of your website or share on social media platforms in order to build trust among potential customers.
9. Affiliate Programs: Set up an affiliate program by offering a commission for each successful sale generated through affiliates who promote the product for you..
10 Podcasts & Interviews: Reach out to podcasters and radio shows in the niche related field that you’re teaching in order for them to feature you as a guest speaker so that you can share more details about what’s included within the online course plus its benefits and features with their listeners/viewers
Creating your first online course may seem daunting, but with the right strategy and resources, it can be a highly profitable venture. By sharing your expertise, you can help others while creating a passive income stream for yourself. So take the first step today and start planning your first online course. Who knows, it could be the first of many!
Ramon is an in-demand small business expert, who has started 5 companies and sold 3 companies. He’s the publisher of ZoneofGenius.com and BWCDaly.com. Ramon is a motivational keynote speaker and event host. Check out his latest book, “Celebrity CEO”, all about personal branding for entrepreneurs and small business owners. Get help from Ramon for your business at CelebrityCEO.com/coaching . Learn more about Ramon at RamonRay.com